How can we support our liver?
There are many ways we can support our liver to function at its best. It’s all about reducing the liver load and supporting the body with all the vitamins and minerals it needs. To do a natural liver cleanse every day:
- Limit alcohol and caffeine.
- Maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly.
- Have a variety of fresh vegetables and fruit and eat organically where possible.
- Drink water instead of juice and fizzy drinks.
- Remember that cigarettes, recreational drugs, and exposure to chemicals in your environment place extra load on the liver.
- Remove as much of the plastics as possible in your kitchen. Never store or reheat a meal in plastic.
- Replace your household cleaners with natural ones.
The best liver cleanse diet is to include plenty of dark, leafy greens and limit sugar intake.
Can a Detox help your liver?
The liver is usually pretty good at carrying out its job of detoxifying, however if you are feeling a little sluggish or you’re needing a reset, doing a liver detox with liver support supplements can be beneficial:
- Antioxidants like liposomal glutathione and curcumin support the liver’s cells as they encounter any ‘unfriendly’ toxins.
- Liver cleanse herbal formulas and teas containing Milk thistle and Globe artichoke can support liver cell health.
- B Vitamins are required for all liver processes.
How to do a liver detox?
If you want to do a more intensive liver detox, then we have you covered. Some people like to do it once a year, some prefer to do a seasonal detox to make sure that their liver is in good shape. There are a couple of key things to keep in mind for the best liver detox:
- Reduce the load on your liver – this means giving your liver a break from things that can keep it busy (caffeine, alcohol, fructose, and other sugars).
Up your fibre intake - fibre binds to toxins and excess metabolic waste in the bowel, which supports the elimination of the not-so-good stuff via bowel movements.
Drink plenty of water – Staying hydrated is super important when doing a liver detox to flush out toxins.
Use liver supporting supplements – choose a herbal supplement to support liver cell function, antioxidants to support the integrity of liver cells, binders for healthy heavy metal detoxification, and other gut and kidney supporting products for elimination.
- Take it easy – depending on your current state of health, when you start your liver detox you may feel slightly muzzy headed, a bit tired or notice digestive changes. Support your body by drinking plenty of water, getting adequate sleep, and introducing gentle forms of exercise like walking, and yoga into your daily routine.
Benefits of taking liver detox supplements
- Clear and glowing skin.
- Bright eyes.
- Healthy digestion and metabolism of fats.
- Healthy hormone metabolism and estrogen clearance for hormonal balance.
- A liver that is operating at its best supports the wellbeing of the whole body.
Our top pick liver supplement: Detoxyn
This handy liver detox supplement blends the extracts of liver supporting herbs, along with key nutrients like Choline, goldenseal root and green tea leaf extract. It can be taken daily, as a ‘one off’ dose after indulgence, or as part of a detoxification program.
Taking a liver support or detox supplement for the first time? When you start, it is best to begin gradually. This allows the body time to adjust so your elimination pathways can get rid of waste efficiently. Start with ½ or ¼ of the recommended dose and slowly increase to the full recommended dose over several days to a week. Drink plenty of water and eat high fiber foods.